This centre was started in 1946.
- Vivekananda College, an arts, science and commerce college for men, with 1741 students. It offers five undergraduate courses in Humanities and Languages, five in Physical and Natural Sciences and one in Commerce. Postgraduate courses are offered in three disciplines of Humanities and four of Science. Besides, research scholars work for M.Phil and Ph.D degrees in its Botany, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics and Sanskrit departments. The NCC and NSS units had a large number of students on their rolls. The college library had 95,449 books and 72 periodicals. Scholarships given to the students amounted to Rs. 26,30,178/-.
- An evening college, which offers eight undergraduate and two postgraduate courses with 2250 students, has a library with 10,270 books and 21 periodicals.
- A hostel with 57 students.
- An Institute for Vivekananda Studies. It has a small library of its own.
- Two research institutes: (i) Vivekananda Institute of Tropical Mycology (VINSTROM), recognized by the Dept. of Bio-technology, of India, is engaged mainly in studying the biodiversity and technological potential of microfungi in forests and other environments, and (ii) Vivekananda Institute of Algal Technology (VIAT) conducts algae-based research and consultancy activities relating to industrial effluents treatment, algal biomass utilization etc.