(Reproduced from Swami Vivekananda in America: New Discoveries. These together with the English translations, were transcribed by Swamiji in six of his photographs.)
1. Ajarâmaravat prâjnah vidyâm
artham cha chintayet
Grihita iva kesheshu mrityunâ
When in search of knowledge or prosperity think that thou would never have death or disease, and when worshipping God think that death’s hand is in your hair.
2. Eka eve suhrid dharma
Virtue is the only friend which follows us even beyond the grave.
Everything else ends with death.
3. One infinite pure and holy — beyond
thought beyond qualities I bow down
4. Samatâ sarva-bhuteshu etanmuktasya lakshanam.
Equality in all beings this is the sign of the free
5. Thou art the only treasure in this world
6. Thou art the father the lord the mother the husband and love